Monday, November 28, 2011

My South African Thanksgiving and Kite Lab

Happy late Thanksgiving everyone! I have now officially hosted my own Thanksgiving feast, and can’t wait to do it again. Honestly, it was much less stressful than I expected…and maybe the most relaxed Thanksgiving I’ve ever had! Alan picked up two 7 pound turkeys for our main course, and I got to work figuring out all of the sides. Our entire menu was comprised of: 2 turkeys, my grandma’s rice stuffing, green bean casserole, sour cream mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato biscuits, a cheese and fruit platter, two pumpkin pies (libby’s! Thanks mom J!!) with homemade cream cheese crust and an apple pie with a big KL on it for Kite Lab to celebrate Alan’s success. I spent most of Wednesday in the kitchen as well as all of Thursday, but it was well worth it. Thanksgiving was spent with two of Alan’s instructors from the UK, Paul and Gabby, and friends Jeanne and Jacques. Despite being only 6 people total, we managed to devour almost everything on the table (but luckily still have one pumpkin pie left). It was everyone’s first Thanksgiving, except Jacques, and no one had ever had pumpkin pie before –they all loved it :].
My birds!
The Turkey Day Crew

Alan with the Kite Lab Pie
Besides stuffing myself with Thanksgiving dinner, I’ve spent the last week working at Alan’s shop, Kite Lab, which he’s establishing as his own brand. The shop specializes in kite and surf gear as well as kite surfing lessons. Langebaan is one of the top places for kiting in South Africa because of its strong summer winds from the Southeaster and the lagoon waters. Besides helping out with logistical shop work, I’ve also been the KL photographer. My job basically consists of me photographing people during their lessons, as well as other kiters out in the water, and then telling them to head back to the shop to check out the photos. It’s all a publicity scheme, and it’s working J. I sold my first cd today, so I’m even more motivated to keep going! Although, after seeing Alan kite surf today, I’m not sure how entertained I’m going to be if I keep photographing beginners during their lessons…

Kite Lab

Also just had my second lesson yesterday and, once again, it was SO much fun!! I got on the board for a bit, but didn't get too far...Unfortunately we had to call it a day because of the high tide and the setting sun, but til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment