Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sunny Days

It's been a little while since I've posted anything, but nothing extraordinary is happening...or maybe I'm just becoming complacent with all of the wonderful aspects of the Capetonian lifestyle.



Two weeks ago my friends and I made it over a few suburbs to visit the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. These gardens are a UN world heritage site, i.e. they have a natural/cultural significance. What is special about these gardens in particular, besides the stunning flowers and fields, is that it only has indigenous plant species. The proteas and fynbos, in particular, are endemic to South Africa. The garden is separated into different biomes and is a small trek to walk through. It was a beautiful sunny day when we went, and I wish I had brought a picnic to enjoy on one of the many fields that sloped through the gardens. Instead, we ate at the garden's restaurant (it was so nice to finally go out to a decent meal!) and enjoyed lounging in the sunshine.






This past weekend, I spent Saturday at Camps Bay, a small beach town just around the corner of the mountain. Saturday marked the true beginning of Spring, as the weather has been consistently warm and cheery ever since. Typical of all South African beaches, Camps Bay was beautiful. It's right at the base of Lion's Head, and you can also see the station for the Table Mountain cable car. There is a strip of restaurants along the beach, giving it all a very small town, relaxed vibe. It reminds me of some of the coastal towns in California where time seems to slow down and nothing much matters besides what is going on right in front of you.




This Friday is the Real Beer Fest at Old Biscuit Mill, where small artisanal breweries will be offering tastings and live music and good food will accompany them. I can't wait, as I haven't been back to OBM since my first time, so I'm hoping that some of the same vendors might be there for dinner :).

No comments:

Post a Comment